Moore Army Airfield, located at Fort Devens, was built in 1940. During the Second World War it was also used by the Navy, and was referred to as Ayer Naval Auxiliary Air Station. The airfield originally consisted of three paved runways, taxiways and a ramp.

Moore Army Airfield was declared excess when Fort Devens was downgraded to a training area, and was closed in the late 1990s. By the time of its closure, two of the original runways had been abandoned, and the longest runway was still maintained (14/32, approximately 4,700 ft long). Two helicopter runways (2/20 & 15/33, each approximately 500 ft long) were located at the northeast corner of the airfield. The closure of Fort Devens meant some relief for local residents from the noise from Army helicopters. However the runway at Devens, Moore AAF, still exists, and there are unverified reports that Moore may be turned into a local airport. Since its closure, it has been used to store police vehicles, and to run auto races.
View in Google Earth Categories: Writings - Misc, Military - Historic - Closed Facility
Links: www.globalsecurity.org
By: kjfitz
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement