The Morrison Observatory is part of Central Methodist College though located .7 miles from the main campus area. The observatory was originally located at Pritchett College in Glasgow, Missouri. After Pritchett College closed the metal dome and historic Clark refractors telescope were moved to Fayette in 1935. The metal dome and Clark telescope date to 1875. Architect for dome and original building plan designed by a Cambridge, Massachusetts architect (name unknown) and approved by the Director of the Harvard Observatory. Dome and shutters were identical to the Harvard Observatory and were constructed in Massachusetts. The location across the street from the city park was selected because it was at that time on edge of town to minimize light interference. The observatory is still used by the college and is open of select evenings.
Category: Scientific - Astronomy