The National Capital Trolley Museum was founded in 1959 after the abandonment of streetcar service in the District of Columbia had become a certainty. The Museum opened to the public in 1969 at its present location in Northwest Branch Park in Montgomery County, Maryland.
The Museum's mission is to preserve and interpret the history of Washington's electric street railways. The Museum holds its collections in trust for the public and is accountable to the public it serves.
The collections consist of 17 streetcars from Washington D.C. and other cities. Many of these are operated on a one-mile demonstration railway. In addition, there is an O-scale model layout representing a Washington streetscape from the 1930's, a film program, and traditional exhibits of street railway artifacts and photographs.