1917. Inactive since 1996. 162 ft (49 m) round cylindrical white reinforced concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted black. The 1-story keeper's house is unroofed and in ruins. This unusual and historic lighthouse was built to guide ships bound for the Panama Canal. Unfortunately, the lighthouse is now critically endangered by abandonment and lack of maintenance. Visitors require permission from the Caribbean Islands National Wildlife Refuges main office in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Located near the highest point of the island (the focal plane was 395 ft (120 m)). Site restricted (sensitive ecological area), tower closed.
View in Google Earth Categories: Lighthouses
Links: www.coris.noaa.gov
By: WacoKidd110
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement