Constructed in 1891, the Life-Saving Service and later the U. S. Coast Guard actively used the building until 1962. The building fell into a state of disrepair and was used by the city for various government departments. In 1977, the building was scheduled for demolition. A group of concerned citizens formed the Ocean City Museum Society and with the generosity of the mayor and city council who made funds available to the society, the building was saved by moving it to its present location. The station house was officially dedicated as a museum on Christmas Day, 1978.