Inscribed on the DC Preservation League's List of Most Endangered Places for 2000.
The Old Naval Hospital was built in 1865 to serve Civil War forces on the Potomac. Used as a naval hospital until 1911, it then became the Temporary Home for Veterans of All Wars, a private institution providing lodging for those pressing pension claims in Washington. Owned by the Federal government and leased to the District since 1966, this local and national landmark is slowly being demolished by neglect. In addition to the main building, the complex includes landscaped grounds, a detached stable, and an elaborate monumental cast iron perimeter fence.