"Pioneer German families founded Zion Lutheran Church in 1865 as the western portion of Saint Thomas Lutheran parish. The congregation adopted its first constitution and dedicated this substantial Neo-Gothic building in 1867. The church was enlarged and remodeled in 1909, providing for a new altar, pulpit, sacristy and art glass windows. On June 6, 1917, a tornado severely damaged the facade, roof and steeple; however, repairs and the installation of a tracker organ were made in time for the fiftieth anniversary rededication in September. The interior was redecorated in 1932 and 1947. The congregation worshipped exclusively in German until 1930, and held services in this building until 1974 when the new church was dedicated."
By kkeps @ 2008-11-29 16:56:59