Pelham has the oldest town hall in continuous use for town meetings. The wooden, two-story structure, which stands on a hill at the corner of Amherst Road and Daniel Shays Highway, was built in 1743. For 267 years, Pelham residents have annually met in the simple clapboard hall to discuss and vote on vital town issues: true democracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_town_meeting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelham_Town_Hall_Historic_District
View in Google Earth Categories: Government - Local, Historical
Links: www.governing.com
By: skyeye

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload