The Duomo di Parma or Parma Cathedral, located in the heart of Parma, Emilia-Romagna, is an important 12th-century Romanesque cathedral filled with Renaissance art. Its ceiling fresco by Correggio is considered a masterpiece of Renaissance fresco work.
Religious - Christianity
A basilica probably existed on this site as early as the 6th century, but it was later abandoned. Another church had been consecrated in the rear part of the preceding one in the 9th century by the count-bishop Guibodo.
Construction on Parma's present cathedral began in 1059 by bishop Cadalo (who later became the antipope Honorius II) and was consecrated by Pope Paschal II in 1116.
A year later, the new cathedral was badly damaged by an earthquake and required much restoration. Remains of the original building can still be seen in the presbytery, the transept, the choir, the apses and in some sculpture fragments. The new, wide façade was completed in 1178; its doors were sculpted by Luchino Bianchino in 1494.
The Gothic belfry was added later, in 1284-1294: a twin construction on the left side had been conceived, but it was never begun. Beside the Cathedral lies the octagonal Baptistry of Parma.