Passat was completed in 1911 for Ferdinand Laeisz and is one of that line's famous Flying-P liners. In the 1931 Passat was bought by the famous Gustaf Erikson of Mariehamn, Åland, Finland for Australian wheat trade together with some other former Laeisz ships. 1939-46 she was laid up in Mariehamn and sailed again after the war until 1949. In 1951 Passat together with Pamir where sold to be broken up at Hamburg but where bought from the scrapyard by a German shipowner to be used as cargo-carrying school ships. In 1957 Pamir was lost in a hurricane and Passat was laid up in Travemünde and has been museum ship since 1960.
There are at least three other P-Liners surviving, Peking
in New York, Pommern in Mariehamn and Kruzenshtern (former Padua) in Russia.
Categories: Sea - Sailing Ships