"Pelham Institute" by Thomas Lainson
By kkeps @ 2010-09-20 18:17:54
The Pelham Institute is a former working men's club and multipurpose social venue in the Kemptown area of Brighton, part of the English coastal city of Brighton and Hove. Built in 1877 by prolific local architect Thomas Lainson on behalf of the Vicar of Brighton, the multicolored brick and tile High Victorian Gothic building catered for the social, educational and spiritual needs of the large working-class population in the east of Brighton. After its closure it hosted a judo club, but is now in residential use as flats (under the name Montague Court) owned by a housing association. English Heritage has listed the building at Grade II for its architectural and historical importance.