In 1927, movie theatres didn't have concession counters inside their lobbies. Movie-goers still wanted to eat, of course, but they couldn't do it in the theatre. So an enterprising soul took advantage of the opportunity and opened a family restaurant and soda fountain right next door to the Egyptian, where movie-goers could have a meal before or after seeing the film.
It was called the Pig 'N Whistle, the name inspired by it's fanciful logo of a dancing pig playing a flute. A side entrance to the new family restaurant opened right out into the grand courtyard of the Egyptian Theatre, so movie-goers could easily move from the restaurant to the theatre and vice versa.
Category: Buildings - Retail and Dining