Point of Rocks Train Station
By AlbinoFlea @ 2005-12-04 19:50:14
Our beautiful Victorian train station was built in 1871 and was also added to the National Registry of Historic Places in 1973. The tracks south towards Washington, D.C. weren’t built until after the end of the Civil War (which ended in April of 1865). Before that time, the tracks stopped here in Point of Rocks. In 1861, Colonel (later General) Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson convinced the B&O Railroad to conentrate it’s coal shipments heading East to a specific time. He was then able to capture 56 locomotives and more than 300 cars by stopping all train traffic headed East at Point of Rocks.