The Ponte Vecchio (Old bridge) or Ponte degli Alpini (Alpini's bridge) is the covered wooden pontoon bridge designed by the architect Andrea Palladio in 1569. The bridge is located in Bassano del Grappa and was destroyed many times, the last time in World War II. The bridge spans the river Brenta.
The Brenta river was an important means of communication in the 1700's from the mountains of Grappa to Venice.
During WWI the italian troops crossed this bridge under Gen. Cadorna to address the rapid defense of the territories of the plateau of Seven Common (this event was born the nickname Ponte degli Alpini).
Category: Famous Architects