Chief Poolaw’s Teepee was erected in 1947 by Lucy Nicolar Poolaw -- “Princess Watahwaso”-- and her Kiowa husband Bruce Poolaw. The towering structure quickly became a tourist attraction. Besides housing an Indian novelties shop, it served as a giant calling card for the couple, already known nationwide as Native American performers. Visitors who timed it right could meet the shop’s famous owners or witness the making of traditional crafts. To keep enough inventory and attract customers, Lucy and Bruce hired Penobscot basketmakers to weave on location. They also hired and outfitted Penobscot children to come by and dance. The structure was recently renovated and renamed Princess Watahwaso’s Teepee: A Family Museum.
Objects - Roadside Attractions, Safari Submissions