Quarters One houses the Army chief of staff.
Quarters One was built in May 1899 at a cost of $18,471. A two-story structure with basement and attic, it contains 21 rooms on a foundation measuring 40 by 54 feet. The first Quarters One occupant on record was Maj. Gen. Charles Humphrey. He occupied the house until 1908, when it was designated the official residence of the Army chief of staff. Maj. Gen. J. Franklin Bell was the first Army chief of staff to live there.
Many of the Army's great leaders have resided in Quarters One. Gen. of the Army Douglas MacArthur lived there from 1930 until 1935. Gen. of the Army George C. Marshall called Quarters One his home during the years of World War II. Gen. of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower followed Marshall into the house and resided there until 1948. Another of the great World War II leaders, Gen. of the Army Omar Bradley, lived in Quarters One until 1953.
Category: Homes - Famous