Radium Springs is best known as the location of one of the "Seven Natural Wonders of Georgia": the largest natural spring in the state. The deep blue waters of Radium Springs flow at 70,000 gallons (265,000 liters) per minute and empty into the Flint River. There is also an extensive underwater cavern system.
The water contains trace sources of radium and the temperature is 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) year round.
Prior to the discovery of radium in the water in 1925, the site was known as "Blue Springs".
A casino was built overlooking the springs in the 1920s and Radium Springs was a popular spa and resort. Northerners on their way by train to spend winter in Florida often stopped to swim in the springs, which was thought to be healthful because of the radium element. The casino was severely damaged when the river flooded in 1994, and again in 1998, and was permanently demolished in 2003.