RAF Silloth (closed)

No Thumbnail
RAF Silloth (closed)
No Thumbnail
Google Maps Google Maps Bing Maps Bing Maps Yahoo Maps Yahoo Maps
map #29385
View in Google Earth
By kjfitz @ 2007-02-18 15:35:37
6/39, Opened as Maintenance Command Station (22 MU) but transferred to Coastal Command Group Pool, 11/39 with Ansons, Beauforts, Bothas and Hudsons. This unit became No. 1 Operational Training Unit 4/40, staying until 3/43 when it moved to Thornaby. Station suffered several air raids in 1940.
10/3/43 to 7/45, No. 6 OTU with Wellingtons and Ansons, 311 (Czech) Sqn with Liberators.
Postwar used for storage and scrapping of Ansons, Dakotas, Lancasters, Yorks and other types by 22 MU.
10/45 to 1/46, 1353 Target Towing Flight with Spitfires and Vengeances.
10/45, No. 5 Ferry Pool formed here as Ferry Flight replacing ATA Units.
532 views
Views by date
Rate as 1Rate as 2Rate as 3Rate as 4Rate as 5Rate as 6Rate as 7Rate as 8Rate as 9Rate as 101.0 (1 votes)

Comments

Feed Feed Policies

Please log in if you don't want to post anonymously (anonymous users cannot post links)

Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Share:
Update Thumbnails: