St Andrew is a ruin now. All that remains is a vast curtain of walling, which is almost complete. It dwarfs the tiny later church within the shell. The eastern end is especially impressive, with the rood loft stairs in the north wall still accessible, and what was clearly a vaulted crypt in the chancel.
Abandoned, Religious - Christianity
This church was rebuilt at about the same time as Southwold and Blythburgh. As at Blythburgh, an earlier tower was incorporated. This tower still survives today. The rest of the church, however, was derelicted in 1672 by the local people. This was not out of any malicious intent; rather, the upkeep of such a great church placed too great a burden on such a tiny village at a time when public worship was a low-key and rather sober affair.