Ruins of Villa Pausilypon

No Thumbnail
Ruins of Villa Pausilypon
No Thumbnail
Google Maps Google Maps Birds Eye Birds Eye Yahoo Maps Yahoo Maps
View in Google Earth
By Effi @ 2008-04-21 02:56:24
At the extreme end of the promontory of Coroglio is the Villa Pausilypon, the remains of the luxurious home of Publius Vedius Pollio, one of Octavian’s supporters. Upon his death the villa went to the emperor. The grandiose villa was composed of several buildings erected between the 1st century BC and the 4th AD, to cover an area of about 9 hectares. At the centre was the huge residential structure, around which were built a grandiose theatre, an odeion and thermal baths. Apart from its private dock on the Cala dei Lampi, the complex included its own roads and the tunnel known as the ‘Grotta di Seiano’, that crosses the rocky coastline to Coroglio, which today is the point of access to the complex.
Views by date
728
views
Rate as 1Rate as 2Rate as 3Rate as 4Rate as 5Rate as 6Rate as 7Rate as 8Rate as 9Rate as 1010.0 (2 votes)

Categories

Comments

Policies

Please log in if you don't want to post anonymously (anonymous users cannot post links)

Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Nearby maps
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Similar maps
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Share: