Sarovsky Monastery gave Russia one of its greatest saints, St. Seraphim Sarovsky, therefore in the earlier history of Russia it was known as a holy place for Orthodoxy. Monastery took its original name from the site being next to the Sarovka River, the waters of which thought to have healing powers. The first monk has settled there in 1664. His name was Theodosius. The first Church was found there in 1706. Saint Seraphim was living there from 1778 to 1833. In 1903, this place was visited by the Russian royal family. At that time there was nine churches, including one underground. Around 320 monks lived in the monastery.
Category: Religious - Christianity