The U. S. Army selected the Sikorsky Choctaw in 1955 as a medium lift cargo and troop transport. Built as the CH-34A between 1955 and February of 1959 there were 426 Choctaws delivered to the Army. Others were delivered to the United States Air Force and Navy. Beginning in 1958 the Choctaw was upgraded to CH-34C standards with the installation of auto-stabilization systems to allow all-weather operations. Also beginning in 1958 several Choctaws were converted to VIP transports for use by the Executive Flight Detachment and provided helicopter transport for the President until the end of 1964 when all Presidential helicopter operations were transferred to the Marine Corps. The last Choctaw was retired from U.S. military service in 1974.
Category: Helicopters - Parked