The Single Brothers' House was built to house the Single Brethren, the unmarried men, of the Moravian Congregation of Salem, now Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The first portion designed by Friedrich Wilhelm von Marschall, secular leader of the Moravian colony, was constructed of traditional Germanic half-timber framing, exposed brick noggin, a clay tile roof, and had a pent eave. It was completed in 1769. A later brick addition, was added in 1786, by master mason Johann Gottlob Krause to the south end. The building housed craftsmen and their apprentices, as well as provide individual trades shops.
Homes - Historic