Inscription:

Site of the First Fort Bliss
Established September 14, 1849 by Brevet Major Jefferson Van Horne with 4 companies of the Third United States Infantry and known as Post El Paso. Vacated in 1851, re-garrisoned in 1854 and named Fort Bliss in honor of Brevet Major William Wallace Smith Bliss. Abandoned in 1868 due to encroachment of the Rio Grande. 1936
View in Google Earth Categories: Events - Historical
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: daggerwell
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement