Slovakian President's Palace
By kjfitz @ 2005-11-23 11:39:27
The dominant of Hodzovho Square is a beautiful garden rococo palace built facing the city walls by its facade. It belonged to the Count Anton Grassalkovich and was built in 1765 by the architect Mayerhofer. The extensive garden is now a public park, where a bust of baroque composer J. N. Hummel born in Bratislava is placed. Famous composer and virtuoso Joseph Haydn conducted the home orchestra there in the year 1772. During the reign of the communists the palace served the needs of Bratislava children for their after-school activities. Since the reconstruction in 1996 the palace serves the needs of state representation as the residence of the President of the Slovak Republic.
5.0 (20 votes)