The theatre, named after the great Romantic playwrite, Juliusz Slowacki, was built in 1892 by the Polish architect Jan Zawiejski. It was launched during an especially fruitful period in Cracow’s artistic life, and many historic plays were premiered here. These included The Wedding (1901), a portentous foray into national myth (black knights, jesters and visions galore) which remains a much-loved classic to this day. It was penned by one of the most interesting artistic characters of the age, Stanislas Wyspianski.
Category: Theatres - Opera