St. Annes Pier
By kjfitz @ 2006-02-23 10:39:27
A conventional promenade pier constructed of iron columns with lattice girder work, St Annes Pier was a relatively modest affair built to a length of 914ft (277m) at a cost of £18,000. Designed by A Mawson and commissioned by the Land and Building Company Ltd, the Pier was opened by Lord Stanley on June 15th 1885. In 1904 further, much more ornate, work was carried out with the construction of a fabulous 1000 seat 'Moorish' pavilion along with various kiosks along the neck of the pier, and a red brick mock-Tudor entrance building, complete with imitation wooden beams and gables, at the shoreward end. The whole complex was completed in 1910 with the construction of the 'Floral Hall' at the pier-head that was built for concerts, opera's and vaudeville acts.
1.0 (1 votes)