St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1863. The present church is built on land granted by act of the Georgia Legislature in 1873. It was erected in 1876 under the pastorate of Rev. Wesley J. Gaines, at a cost of $20,000. Rev. Gaines was the first pastor in record of the church. The graceful central tower and flanking turrets were added in 1886 during the ministry of Rev. L. L. Thomas. St. James AME Church ranks as the second oldest church of the denomination in Georgia.
Category: Religious - Christianity