The church of St. Matthew was built in 1840 at the cost of £4000. It has an apsidal chancel, north and south transepts, a nave with north aisle, and a bell-turret containing two bells on the west gable. It is in the Gothic style. There is an interesting screen in the chancel which came from a Premonstratensian abbey in Flanders. The small bell turret contains to bells from 1838. Otterbourne was a parochial chapelry dependent upon Hursley until 1876. After that date it as was constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish and perpetual curacy.
View in Google Earth Categories: Religious - Christianity
Links: www.waymarking.com
By: kkeps
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement