St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church is one of the 38 parish churches of the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware.
he church was initially organized on June 21, 1794 and a plot of land was acquired on Front and Pine streets, though it was never used and later sold in 1806. The Rev. James Wiltbank conducted services in the court house infrequently in the absence of an actual church. In 1804 the current lot at East Pine and Academy streets was acquired and a wood frame structure was built over the next two decades due to lack of funding.
In 1805 the Delaware legislature passed an act allowing the vestry to raise $1500 by lottery for the construction of the church. On January 25, 1806 the Rev. Hamilton Bell dedicated the still unfinished church. The legislature authorized another lottery in 1827 to raise $10,000 for the construction of an academy, a Masonic Hall and for the completion of St. Paul's, though it was never held.
By neotrix @ 2012-08-28 11:52:51