The museum was founded in 1995 to honour the 200th anniversary of the Stepan Razin Brewery. Known in Soviet times as the Kalinkinskiy Beer and Mead Co-operative, it was originally founded - with the approval of Catherine the Great - in 1795 by Abraham Friedrich Krohn (a German immigrant) as
Breweries, Safari Submissions
something like a modern brewpub. The exhibition was opened exactly 80 years after the production of the first beer under the Stepan Razin brand. The name refers to the famous 17th Century Cossack rebel and pirate who became the hero of countless Russian folk songs and stories.