Sv. Pētera Baznica (St. Peter's Cathedral)

Sv. Pētera Baznica (St. Peter's Cathedral) (Google Maps)
No Thumbnail
No Thumbnail
Google Maps Google Maps Bing Maps Bing Maps Yahoo Maps Yahoo Maps
View in Google Earth
By AlbinoFlea @ 2005-12-14 09:21:24
From www.riga.lv:

Peter’s Cathedral used to be the main cathedral during the middle ages for the inhabitants of Riga, and it has belonged to the citizens of Riga since the very beginning. The church congregation mainly consisted of privileged large guild merchants and craftsmen of smaller guilds. The first time St. Peter’s cathedral was mentioned in 1209. Its oldest section, currently the central area, which used to be the altar area, built in 1408–1409 – conforms to Gothic style. The cathedral has been rebuilt and enlarged several times. In the latter half of the 15th century, the cathedral acquired its three-dimensional basilica look. In 1491 the tower was built upon the cathedral, and although it collapsed several times, it was always rebuilt.
In 1666 the tower collapsed, in 1677 it was recovered, but in the same year it was destroyed by fire. In 1690 it was rebuilt again. At that time the 64.5 m high steeple was the highest wooden structure in the world. In 1721 lightning hit the tower and it was destroyed again (reportedly, the Russian tsar Peter I, who at that time was in Riga, took part in extinguishing the fire). This time the renewed tower stayed intact by 1746. During World War II on 29 June 1941 artillery projectiles, which hit the cathedral, inflamed it, and as the cathedral burned the tower collapsed. The tower was resurrected in 1973, but the cathedral’s restoration was completed in 1984. Now there is an elevator built in the tower, which takes visitors to tower’s second gallery located on 72 m height to enjoy the city panorama.
Views by date
340
views
Rate as 1Rate as 2Rate as 3Rate as 4Rate as 5Rate as 6Rate as 7Rate as 8Rate as 9Rate as 10Unrated

Comments

Policies

Please log in if you don't want to post anonymously (anonymous users cannot post links)

Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Nearby maps
Melngalvju Nams (Blackhead's House)
House of the Blackheads
Japanese food
Embassy of Italy in Latvia
Embassy of Norway in Latvia
Casino 777
Pink Booted Car
Embassy of Moldova in Latvia
Freedom Monument
Railway Bridge, Riga
Brīvības Piemineklis (Freedom Monument)
Centrāltirgus (Central Market)
Similar maps
St. Pauls Church Undergoing Restoration
Burgos Cathedral
Salamanca's Cathedrals
Romantic site on the sea
Cristo del Otero
Cathedral of San Antolín
Abandoned Abbey
Duomo e Torre della Ghiraldina
Cattedrale di Cerignola
Duomo di Pisa
Città del Vaticano - Vatican City
Branch Davidian - Mt. Carmel - Feb 28, 1993
Share: