Szent István Bazilika (Saint Stephen basilica)

Szent István Bazilika (Saint Stephen basilica) (Google Maps)
No Thumbnail
No Thumbnail
Google Maps Google Maps Bing Maps Bing Maps Yahoo Maps Yahoo Maps
View in Google Earth
By kjfitz @ 2005-11-17 12:21:08
The Saint Stephen basilica is the largest church in Hungary. It was designed by Jozsef Hild in 1845, although it was only finished in 1906, due to some serious construction errors: in 1851 the dome collapsed. The remainder of the church was then demolished and replaced by a neo-Renaissance design by Miklós Ybl. This one is still standing, even though it got heavily damaged during World War II.

The interior of the basilica is a tad dark, but still light enough to admire the many decorations. No amount of gold leaf has been spared. Among the most valued sights within the church are the relics of St. Stephen. In the Szent jobb kápolna (chapel of the Sacred Right) you can find a piece of his skull, and in the church itself the most sacred relic in all of Hungary is on display in a golden display case: the mummified hand of Stephan. A bit grisly, but very fascinating.
Views by date
369
views
Rate as 1Rate as 2Rate as 3Rate as 4Rate as 5Rate as 6Rate as 7Rate as 8Rate as 9Rate as 10Unrated

Comments

Policies

Please log in if you don't want to post anonymously (anonymous users cannot post links)

Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Pics: 2
St. Stephan's Cathedral
St. Stephan's Cathedral frontal view
Nearby maps
St. Stephen's Basilica
Gödör (Pit)
Red double decker bus
Danubius fountain
National Bank of Hungary
Pipe-playing shepherd with 4 sheep
The Michael Jackson memorial tree
British Embasy in Hungary
Scene of Hungarian State Opera House
Hugarian State Opera House
Lutheran Church
US Embassy in Hungary
Similar maps
St. Pauls Church Undergoing Restoration
Burgos Cathedral
Salamanca's Cathedrals
Romantic site on the sea
Cristo del Otero
Cathedral of San Antolín
Abandoned Abbey
Duomo e Torre della Ghiraldina
Cattedrale di Cerignola
Duomo di Pisa
Città del Vaticano - Vatican City
Branch Davidian - Mt. Carmel - Feb 28, 1993
Share: