Before 1100, the de Clares replaced the wooden castle with a stone shell keep. This was reinforced during the thirteenth century, and in 1295 a stone wall was built around the town.
The twin towered gatehouse was built by Richard de Clare, sixth Earl of Hertford or his son Gilbert. Construction of the gatehouse took 30 years, being completed in 1260.
View in Google Earth Categories: Castles, Buildings - Misc
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: LancelotLink
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement