The tower of the Central University Library houses one of the most beautiful carillons in the world. It was erected together with the library building in 1928 and was donated by American engineers as a war memorial. Thanks to the efforts of American carillonneur Margo Halsted, the instrument was renovated and extended to 63 bells in 1983. The total bell weight is 35 tonnes.
Schools - Colleges/Universities, Towers - Clock
The instrument bears a message of peace. The 7-tonne Bourdon, which also strikes the hours, is named Liberty Bell of Louvain, and bell n° 4 bears the following inscription (translated from Latin)
Links: images.google.it, www.kuleuven.be