Turner Field (now Miller Brewing Company - Albany)
By bubaonline @ 2007-01-14 12:37:59
Established in 1942 as an AAC field, it was used to train U.S. navigators & French aircrews.
Turner Field Air Base also was a branch prisoner of war camp housing about 500 German POWs who worked on the field, in agriculture and in other non-war related business.
Closed after the war, then reopened in 1947.
Shortly after, it became a SAC fighter base, & was renamed as an AFB.
In 1958, it gained B-52's, the massive runway, & a ring of nuclear tipped Nike-Hercules.
Closed in 1967 & transferred to the Navy, which closed it in 1976.
It was briefly used for civilian aeronautics, then bought by Miller, which built a large brewery on the premises. (info)