The Valentine-Varian House, built in 1758 by Isaac Valentine and located in the Norwood section of The Bronx is the borough's second oldest house and oldest remaining farmhouse. The house remained in the Varian family, which included Isaac Varian, New York's 63rd Mayor until 1905, when it was sold. It is currently a part of the Historic House Trust and houses the Museum of Bronx History.

During the Revolutionary War, the House was occupied by Hessian, British and American troops and survived the war despite a series of battles fought nearby. The House's role in the Revolutionary war was documented in a book published in 1983. The house withstood significant vandalism in the 1960s when it was being converted for use into a museum. Since its conversion to a museum it has held a number of exhibits about The Bronx and the borough's history.

The Bronx River Soldier, sometimes called Bronx River Sentry statue is located on the grounds of the House.
View in Google Earth Categories: Homes - Historic
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: kkeps
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement