The Van Swearingen-Shepherd House, also known as Bellevue is home to the descendants of Captain Thomas Shepherd, founder of Shepherdstown. The house, situated on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River, was built in 1773 by Thomas Van Swearingen as a single-story stone house. His son, also named Thomas Van Swearingen, was a US Representative. The Shepherd family acquired the house in 1900, when Henry Shepherd III bought the house as a wedding present for his bride Minnie Reinhart, whose grandfather was Thomas Van Swearingen.

The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 18, 1983.
View in Google Earth Categories: Homes - Historic
By: neotrix
Please enable images and enter code to post