The Relief Society Hall's main section was built in 1875 and the west wing about 1904. This makes the present "L" shaped building. Both sections were built of adobes that were produced locally. Its style of architecture is Greek Revival that prevailed in Utah during the early settlement days. It is the only remaining late-nineteenth -century public building in Washington City and is the oldest standing Relief Society Hall in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

This building served variously as a meeting house, post office, co-op store, apartment, city and service club offices and mortuary. After this building was built, the Relief Society of Washington held their meetings here but part of the time they met in members' homes, this allowed them to rent part of the building so that the money could be used to help the poor. One of their functions was to prepare the deceased for burial. If a long white board was outside against the building it meant someone had passed on and a funeral would be planned. The members made clothing, quilts, conducted fund raising bazaars and luncheons in this building to raise money to accomplish their goals.
View in Google Earth Categories: Misc
Links: www.waymarking.com
By: kkeps
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement