Location: Fishers Island Sound east approach (juncture of Block Island Sound and Fishers Island Sound)

Nearest town: Westerly, Rhode Island

Accessibility: The lighthouse is closed to the public. The grounds and a museum in the oil house are open limited hours in summer. There is no parking near the lighthouse; visitors must park in town and walk (about 15 minutes).

The Watch Hill Lighthouse Museum in the station's oil house is open July-August; Tuesdays & Thursdays, 1-3 p.m.

Station established: 1808; Present lighthouse built: 1856; Automated: 1986

Construction material: Granite with brick lining

Height of tower: 45 feet; Height of focal plane: 61 feet

Original optic: Fourth order Fresnel (1856); Present optic: VRB-25

Characteristic: Alternating red and white flash every 2.5 seconds

Fog signal: One blast every 30 seconds

Other buildings still standing: 1856 keeper's house, oil house, garage, 1909 fog signal building

Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation.
View in Google Earth Categories: Lighthouses
By: AlbinoFlea


Please enable images and enter code to post