The windmill on Reigate Heath adjacent to the Reigate Heath Golf Clubhouse is probably the only windmill in the world to have been consecrated as a place of worship. In 1880 the brick roundhouse of the disused mill was converted into a Chapel of Ease to St Mary's Parish Church, Reigate.
The chapel, named St Cross Chapel, was opened for services on 14 September 1880 and has continued to this day when services are held throughout the summer. People come from far and wide to visit the windmill, located in an attractive setting on the heath.
It was built about 1765, and ceased to grind about one hundred years later.
By kjfitz @ 2008-02-05 14:04:42