The 4th Battalion, the Welsh Regiment was the local Territorial unit. At the outbreak of the Great War the battalion formed at Carmarthen , on 4 August 1914, joining South Wales Brigade, Army Troops. The Battalion was later renumbered the 1/4th Battalion on the creation of the 2/4th (Reserve) Battalion during March 1915. On 17 April 1915, the 1/4th Battalion transferred into 159 Brigade, 53rd (Welsh) Division. The 53rd Division was a Territorial Force Division, and was to serve with distinction in Gallipoli, Egypt & Palestine. This page is dedicated to the memory of the men of this Battalion who fought in one of the hardest campaigns of the Great War, and whose graves are the most seldom visited. It went on to train between the wars, and saw further service during the France & Germany campaign during World War Two.
Memorials, Events - Historical