Last Updated: May 28, 2014
Bold fields on the submit page are required without exception. This includes the Title, URL, Country, State, City, at least one Category and the Thumbnail.
You are highly encouraged to include a Description and a More Info URL for the map.
Please do not copy any content from other sites, such as Wikipedia. Besides potential copyright violations, search engines de-prioritize postings that contain copied content.
Thumbnails, titles, descriptions and links should not contain any of the following:
Pornography, adult or mature content, including:
- Close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches, blurred-out
- Sheer or see-through clothing or lingerie
- Strategically covered nudity (includes situations in which genitals are blurred out by camera)
- Images of men or women posing and/or undressing in a seductive manner
- Violent content
- Hate speech (including content that incites hatred or promotes violence against individuals or groups based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, or sexual orientation/gender identity), harassment, bullying, or similar content that advocates harm against an individual or group.
- Excessive profanity
- Copyrighted materials
You must capture and upload a thumbnail of the imagery. The tutorial has info on how to do this.
The thumbnail should not show the push-pin or similar icons. (help)
The thumbnail must match the URL (no Bing Maps thumbnails for Google Maps URLs).
Do not submit a Google Street View thumbnail for a map if it isn't a Street View URL.
Thumbnails should be square, and will be resized to 150 by 150px.
Feel free to upload additional thumbnails for the other mapping services (Google, Bing, Yahoo) even while your map is waiting in the Queue for moderation.
Duplicates of existing maps will be rejected. The first (original) submission is always kept.
Please Search for similar maps before submitting them, or use the Check For Duplicates button.
Exception: A second map can be posted of a location with a Google Street View URL if the first map is not Street View, and vice-versa.
If you think a map could be updated with minor information changes (outdated links, typos), please leave a comment on the map and a Moderator will be able to make the changes.
You are welcome to submit your own home. Please understand the geolocation of each posting is available to everyone else.
Businesses owned by the submitter are accepted, but must not contain blatant advertising.
- Buildings - Homes - Celebrity - Business: All maps must have a More Info link to a profile at a well established website (such as Wikipedia or Forbes.com).
- Buildings - Residential: Homes that are not celebrity, famous or otherwise historic belong in this category, whether the owner's name is included or not.
Submitted information becomes the property of VirtualGlobetrotting.com and may not be used without permission.
Questions or Comments?
Any questions regarding any of these policies may be posted in the forums.