Forums

People NOT Doing Interesting Things

Pages: 1
AKpilotEMT
11/10/10 10:05 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What's the policy on Street View people?

Everything is allowed so long as someone on the street isn't just walking or standing still?

Here are a few from today:

Interesting?

What about this one?

If you were on the street and saw her,
would you truly stop or at least think to yourself, "That's interesting that she's reading."?

Reading is almost as common as walking.

How is that interesting?

As human beings, do we not need some food or something to drink now and then?

Again I ask -- if you saw them, would you think what they're doing is interesting?

And this one is a(nother) lie:

The title is "Fixing The Bike" but how is it known they are fixing it? Maybe they're just looking at it. This is an instance where the submitter completely made up a situation that looks like it *could* be real but there's no way to know. A person using their imagination is fine but here at this site it just seems cartoonish.

Someone pushing a stroller. Someone walking a dog. Someone reading a book. Someone having a drink.
Etc. Etc. These are not interesting. A few former submitters that I've spoken to have left the site because all this stuff is allowed on a seemingly limitless basis. They believe the approval of this clutter is out of hand.
alfjon
11/11/10 05:02 PM

Quote:

A few former submitters that I've spoken to have left the site because all this stuff is allowed on a seemingly limitless basis. They believe the approval of this clutter is out of hand.

Yes I am one of them, I strongly consider leaving this site forever.

nic
11/11/10 05:11 PM

I'm sorry you feel that others submissions are diluting your posts or the quality of the site. The other people that are submitting these posts clearly disagree with you.

AK personally submitted 2 of those maps above. He also submitted 25 cars yesterday to "make a point".

For the final time, we're not going down the slope of arbitrarily deciding which maps are interesting and which are not.

What if another user says "I think all maps from Sweeden are boring". Should we then start deleting all your submissions?

We won't go down that path. End of story.
AKpilotEMT
11/11/10 05:48 PM

Quote:

For the final time, we're not going down the slope of arbitrarily deciding which maps are interesting and which are not.

Someone *is* deciding what's interesting or not and deleting. I just had a Street View map deleted that was nearly identical to another that was not deleted.

This remains: http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/snack-time/

Mine was deleted, it was called "Time for a Drink"

Why did this happen? I posted mine because it was interesting. Someone else posted "Snack Time" because they thought that was interesting. But mine got deleted and the other remains? I thought no one was going to do any deciding about what's interesting.
kjfitz
11/11/10 05:50 PM

I deleted it because your comments indicated you had submitted it to make a point. That is against stated policy.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Pdunn
11/11/10 06:14 PM

Just a friendly reminder that your tax dollars are not being used to support this site. The visitors are volunteers as the moderators are volunteers. Participation is voluntary, map submissions are voluntary and attendance is voluntary.

The lengths Nic has gone to to provide users with the ability to customize the site's content to their own preferences is laudable.

I find it ironic that the people suggesting that some members should be prevented from posting certain maps are also the ones who protest the loudest when one of their own is removed. Ideally, no maps would be removed at all; however, when posters begin impacting the enjoyment of other visitors simply to make a point, the only point that will be made is that that will not be tolerated.
AKpilotEMT
11/11/10 06:39 PM

Quote:

I deleted it because your comments indicated you had submitted it to make a point. That is against stated policy.

You shouldn't read what's not there. I don't believe in any post of mine in the past day or so that I said anything I submitted was submitted to make a point.

Someone used quotes to make it appear as it I said that but if you read every word of mine you will see that I never said that.

If I am wrong, I do apologize for not remembering but I'm pretty sure you jumped the gun with fabricated evidence.
FrankB
01/25/12 03:41 PM

How about those forum games which have added god knows how many images of people talking in cell phones, people on bikes, people sunbathing etc.? They are actually asking us to spam the site with nonsense images.

At least give them a category of their own.
kjfitz
01/25/12 08:03 PM

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/category/streetview/safari-submissions/
kjfitz
FrankB
01/26/12 06:45 AM

Okay, I didn't know there was a separate category, because that is not where people are putting their images, and that is not where you tell them to put them either.

Take the safari hunt #31 - Yackety Yack! for instance. Here you clearly tell people in the blog to post their images in "Street View - Events - People doing Interesting Things". That one alone has resulted in 463 images of people that are not really that interesting.

The category "safari submissions" only contains a fraction of the total number of submissions, something like the total from two safari hunts, but there have been 37 of them, so they are mostly scattered around in other categories.
kjfitz
01/26/12 11:46 AM

It is a recent addition to the categories. We've only recently started using it. People will continue to add things to the other categories however during contests. And there will continue to be safari's with categories that don't appeal to everyone.

What a boring place this would be if we only posted and categorized maps in a way that appealed to everyone. No celeb homes, no safaris, nothing military related, nothing sports related, etc. Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy what you like and ignore what you don't.
kjfitz
FrankB
01/26/12 01:57 PM

But it is not easy to ignore all the irrelevant images we have to browse through in order to occationally find something interesting. If someone is looking for a needle in a haystack, it isn't of much help if you tell them to just ignore the hay.

I don't see anything wrong with having a few pictures of people talking in cell phones, drinking cofee, reading a newspaper, or whatever, but deliberately asking people to post anything they can find of the same type of image simply clutters up the site. On a boring site you can at least find a few interesting images, here you end up not being able to find anything interesting at all.

You state on the front page: "VirtualGlobetrotting is an atlas of the best satellite, aerial and street view imagery from around the world", which to me indicates at least some sort of selection and quality in what is posted, but that is not what I see with these safari hunts. They are all about quantity over quality.
kjfitz
01/26/12 02:17 PM

> But it is not easy to ignore all the irrelevant images

This is the key though. Who defines what is relevant? Your relevant is someone else's trash.

This is an old argument and we've said all we really have to say about it in the past. Feel free to read the old forum posts on this article for more background. Over time we'll add more tools for customizing your view of the site and filtering out posts that are of little interest to you. But for now we're very comfortable with the existing policies about what is allowed.
kjfitz
FrankB
01/26/12 02:25 PM

Okay, but don't say that this is "an atlas of the best satellite, aerial and street view imagery", because it is not. It is a collection of whatever spam people decide to upload, encouraged by the mods.
jbottero
05/18/12 10:02 PM

I have to agree with AKpilotEMT on this.

Some time ago, I was behaving badly by commenting on such nonsense, and was told to knock it off (which I did).

I then started submitting random intersections, which are absolutely *no different* than random people walking down the street. Seriously, no different.

Of course (and I expected it), many were rejected or removed after initially being accepted.

But if random people doing nothing in particular are "OK" why are random intersections not "OK"?

It's a valid question.

NOW:

It has been said that some people's interests in subject matter are different than other people's interests. I find celebrity houses boring. But at least it is a real subject.

But random people walking down the street? Seriously?

From reading the responses from the Site Owner and Moderators, can I assume that if I start submitting Street View images of yellow fire plugs, this is "OK"?

There's a lot of them out there, it could really jack up my map count!

- Jake

P.S: Actually, I'll stick to subjects that are at least mildly interesting...

EDIT -

Using the Advanced Search weeds out a lot of the chaff that dilutes the "front page".

Edited by jbottero (05/18/12 10:07 PM)
skyeye
05/24/12 07:40 PM

What's next, "People with two legs"? Interesting? NOT!
Some folks may post trivial images just to move up in the rankings.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8610