Forums

Bing Maps problems

Pages: 1
Alephs
01/31/17 02:20 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
O.K., I'm having this problem: for example, I wanted to update the thumbnails for the Spreckels mansion, and when I click on the Bing thumbnail, I get a nice, fairly recent Bing bird's-eye-view image. But the map field on the page on Virtual Globetrotting is too small for me to make a 500 px thumbnail so I have to open the Bing Web site, and then what I'm seeing is something completely different and uglier. Is this just happening to me?
nic
02/01/17 10:53 PM

You're right! It's strange, it seems like the Bing.com page has a weird texture over the actual building.

Here's what I see:

https://imgur.com/a/s9KdN
Alephs
02/02/17 07:44 AM

Same!

Why is this happening?! Any ideas?
Alephs
02/02/17 07:55 AM

By the way, previously there was another issue, but easily resolvable: when you clicked on a Bing thumbnail, first you'd see an older bird's-eye-view image, but if you just zoomed out and then zoomed in, a more recent image would appear. Don't know why that happened either.
Alephs
02/20/17 07:08 AM

For me in the Auto Submitter the bird's-eye view doesn't work for Athens, Greece.Yet it works if you open a map here on the Web site.
nic
03/28/17 02:21 PM

I tried fiddling with the settings on bing.com a bit (https://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=37.79293619999999~-122.42758027000002&sty=o&lvl=19.8444428254715), but I still can't find a way to remove the crappy building textures.

Does anyone else know how to disable building textures on bing.com?

@Alephs - You mentioned that the page on VGT is too small to make a 500x500px thumbnail? Would it help if I made an option so the viewer can go full-screen?

Can you also share a map where the Bing thumbnail goes from an old BEV to a new view after zooming out and in?
Alephs
03/28/17 02:46 PM

I somehow managed to work around that issue of not being able to create a 500 px × 500 px screenshot: I go full-screen in a browser. So I don't know: would it be too much work to create some sort of option for this on the Web site? Would it make sense and be useful for others, too? I feel like you have a lot of other things you're working on, so perhaps this would add more workload.

Basically, and I can't figure out why this happens, but I manage to get fresh, most recent, bird's-eye imagery when opening a map on VGT, but not when I use the AutoSubmitter. Perhaps it is browser-based? But then, even when I open Bing in a browser, I get older imagery.

By the way, regarding VGT, and perhaps you know this already, but Street View is no longer working (unsupported browser), and even when it did work, the map submitted didn't end up as a Street View map.

P. S. Let us know when the URLs in the new Google format start working properly everywhere.
Alephs
03/28/17 02:53 PM

Other tiny matters: sometimes the angled view doesn't turn itself on by default when it is possible to display it.

Then there's sometimes a misalignment of maps: if it's correctly centered in Bing, it's not on Google. I think I've found a few instanced, but don't ask me where, because I can't remember.

Another issue is that sometimes when a map is correctly centered on Google as a satellite image, it can often be not very well centered when turning on the 45-degree view. This often happens when it's a map of something on a steep slope or something like that.
Alephs
03/28/17 03:09 PM

I just can't seem to stop. Here's the latest issue. Or perhaps it might not be.

I bumped onto this map:

Palazzo del Capitaniato
© Google Maps

When I click on Street View, it's not a Street View map. So I try to submit a Street Map using the possibility of generating a map from the Web site, and I get this URL:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.54737028009567,11.546110544809366,20z,undefinedh/data=!3m1!1e3

What is this "undefinedh"? Perhaps nothing's wrong here, but I'd rather not submit this URL as a change.

I tried copying the URL into a browser, and it doesn't work.
nic
03/31/17 10:49 PM

Thanks for reporting the "undefinedh" issue, I've fixed that.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 41550