Forums

Japan Tsunami SV Imagery

Pages: 1
mlc1us
12/13/11 01:33 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
From Google Lat Long Blog

"Back in July, we announced our initiative to digitally archive the areas of Northeastern Japan affected by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. Today, we’re making good on that promise—after driving more than 44,000 kilometers through the affected regions, 360-degree panoramic imagery of those areas is now available through the Street View feature in Google Maps. The images can also be viewed via a special website called "Build the Memory," where you can easily compare before and after shots of the towns changed by these events."

"A virtual tour via Street View profoundly illustrates how much these natural disasters have transformed these communities. If you start inland and venture out toward the coast, you’ll see the idyllic countryside change dramatically, becoming cluttered with mountains of rubble and debris as you get closer to the ocean. In the cities, buildings that once stood proud are now empty spaces."
mlc1us
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Carrera
06/11/18 05:26 PM

And just as I thought that Japan's older imagery was gone for good...

Will use that for any captures over there in Historic Street View!

I can't say the same for Immersive Media-era imagery, though.
Carrera
02/01/19 11:08 PM

Oh, this just gave me a rather neat idea; since the "before" button limits the street view imagery to 2008-era imagery (which can still be accessed from Maps as a stand-alone image from this site, just not straight from Maps), what if Google made a slider to show how early and how late you want each image to me, just like on Mapillary!

Or maybe they can finally just fix that bug that's stopping imagery from the same location from being completely shown.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2627