Forums

Outside of Town Limits

Pages: 1
AKpilotEMT
10/01/10 08:04 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Greetings!

When a map is located outside of any town/city limits, AS MANY ARE, to attribute it to the nearest town/city would be the same as telling a lie. That's not right. Ask yourself a question like: "Does the nearest town government have any jurisdiction over this place which is outside of their town's borders?" If the answer is NO then you can't possibly give the map's location that town's name.

In those instances, is there any legitimate reason why the County can't be the given location? That would be truthful and accurate. It would also be in accordance with how the rest of America views those places and where there actually truly are.

Is my thinking insane somehow? Please let me know!!!!

Thanks!
jbottero
11/05/10 02:53 AM

I understand your point, but I would also point out that it is very common to refer to a particular "attraction" as being near or outside such-and-such city.

Also consider that "counties" are mostly particular to the United States. Many countries have a similar geographic division, but certainly not as a rule. However, all countries have cities. I think.

Though I see no reason why "Xyz County" can not be substituted in the "City" field. I suspect no one would complain.

On a more practical note, I would like to suggest that VirtualGlobetrotting use a geo-location database to invert the maps so the South Pole is "up" for locations in the Southern Hemisphere, which I think makes infinite sense.

Edited by jbottero (11/05/10 03:29 AM)
Parabellum
11/05/10 08:27 AM

The name of the nearest city goes in the "City" field. Let's keep things consistent please.

If you're not sure of the name of the nearest city (or town or village or borough or whatever) just switch to map view. You may have to zoom out a few steps.
VGT Moderator
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3335