Hippos is an archaeological site in modern-day Israel on the border of the 1949 UN-demarcated ceasefire line between Syria and Israel. Hippos is located on a hilltop in the Golan Heights. During the 3rd century BC and through to the 7th century AD it was the site of a Greco-Roman city. It was later abandoned when the Umayyad Caliphate invaded Israel. The city was partly destroyed during an earthquake in 749.