Annunciation Cathedral built in the Kazan Kremlin 1561-1562. In the 1930s the bell-tower, the west porch, and the domes were pulled down. In 1973–86 the cupolas were reconstructed and the eastern part of the complex was restored. Restoration has been in progress since 1996, including work on paintings. Since 2004 it houses one of the holiest relics of Russian Orthodox Church, the icon called Our Lady of Kazan
, also called Theotokos of Kazan.