The hill first had cannon mounted on it in 1690 by the British. They used the hill to bombard and capture the French Fort Charles nearby. The French considered the hill too steep to transport cannon up the hill. The fortress was constructed intermittently for over 100 years and switched from French to British hands at least twice.
By tallturtle82 @ 2014-07-02 10:20:57